The Independent National Electoral Commission has insisted that citizens who have yet to attain the legal voting age will not be allowed to participate in the 2023 elections.
The Director of Voter Education and Publicity, INEC, Victor Aluko, said this when he appeared on Channels Television on Sunday.
“I assure you that the register will be cleaned up completely and no underage voter will vote in 2023. After we finish with the claims and objections on Friday, we will be taking in again for further claims based on the complaints of the people,” he said.
“That is why it is important that persons who noticed any issue at all with the register should complain through the right channels where they can be documented,” Aluko said.
INEC had made the entire register public earlier in November on its website.
Many Nigerians had afterwards identified several cases of underage voters and double registration.
Meanwhile, the National Commissioner, INEC, Festus Okoye, on Thursday, assured Nigerians that it was committed to cleaning up the register and punishing those found guilty of tampering with its integrity.
Aluko noted that after collating the complaints, INEC’s revision officers at various levels would work on them.
Speaking further, Aluko said, “If you complain and you do not let us know that complaint, then how do we work on the complaints?
“That is why I’m saying we take in the register and then we work on the register, and at the end of the day, we have a very clean register as we prepare for the general election.
“And I’m assuring you that no underage person will come to our polling units to come and vote on election day.”